Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Egret or Heron?

What a find! I am trying to get as close as possible without chasing this magnificent bird away, but it is quite a task, considering that my big black dog is with me on a leash. Now I am really glad I took her to the dog school where I learned the commands "sit" and "stay." Oh, how I wish I had a real powerful zoom lense...
I am not an experienced bird watcher, so for me to suddenly appear in the presence of such a beautiful bird is an amazing privilege.
I looked it up in the National Audubon Society Field Guide to Birds, Eastern Region of North America. That's it, I should be looking for the Central Region. I do not see such exact bird among the photographs.
It looks like an egret, but could be a heron? I search the Web and discover that Egret and Heron are of the same family of birds. I am looking at the Great Blue Heron in the warm Autumn sun.
This is where I found a similar bird: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Great_Blue_Heron/id

No comments:

Photo Show

Total Pageviews